If you are considering moving into a recreational vehicle full time, you may have heard about something called a “park model RV.”
You might also have heard of park model RVs while reading up about tiny houses.
What is a park model RV, and could it be the right choice for you?
In this guide, we will explain exactly what a park model RV is, how it differs from a tiny home, and what the benefits are of this type of portable residence.
What is a Park Model RV?
According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), a park model is “a unique trailer-type RV that is designed to provide temporary accommodation for recreation, camping or seasonal use.”
On sight, a park model RV can easily be mistaken for a regular manufactured home. But despite looking just like a house, its legal classification is as a recreational vehicle.
You can move a park model home from site to site on a wheeled chassis. It might be as wide as 12’, and will not be more than 400 square feet.
Is a Park Model the Same as a Tiny House?
You might assume that a park model RV is identical to a tiny house. But one is a legal classification and the other is not.
- Tiny houses are any small homes under 300, 500, or 600 square feet (depending who you ask).
- Park model homes are manufactured according to ANSI housing standards. Tiny houses may or may not be.
- Park model homes are classified as RVs. Tiny houses may or may not be.
- It can be really hard to find a park that will let you move in with a “tiny house,” but less difficult if what you have is an RV.
Benefits of Park Model RVs
- Dealing with zoning, regulations, and policies can be easier with a park model RV than a tiny home. You want to have as many options as possible with respect to where you live now and over the years ahead. A park model RV can maximize your options compared to a “tiny house.”
- Your home is an RV, but it looks and feels like a proper house. If you love the idea of living in an RV, but don’t like how most RVs look and feel more like vehicles than traditional homes, you will really like park model RVs. In fact, living in a park model, you probably will forget most of the time that it is a recreational vehicle. It will just feel like a regular house.
- Your house is safe and built to code. If tiny houses have tempted you, you have to be very careful selecting a builder, as many builders do not build them to code. But you can rest assured a park model RV will be safe and high in quality, conforming to ANSI standards.
- This type of RV is as portable as any other. You can haul a park model RV across the country and set it up somewhere else later down the line if you want. Your home travels with you on life’s adventures.
- You will love the spacious layout of a park model RV. Inside, these tiny residences feel huge! You will be blown away by their spectacular floor plans and their big windows.
- You can enjoy a combination of indoor and outdoor living spaces. You can’t have a porch with a regular RV, but you can with a park model home. Many park models feature huge sheltered porches with beautiful railings where you can make the most of the scenery and fresh air.
Where Can You Get a Park Model RV?
Ready to get an RV tiny house of your own?
Below, you can check out links to some of our top recommended park model home companies. You can order an existing park model RV, or you can have one custom-built for you. Either way, you will have a beautiful, comfortable, convenient portable home you can enjoy for life.